|Kerry Black Person1 #679823|
Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering, Assistant Professor in the Centre for Environmental Engineering Research and Education, and Canada Research Chair (Tier II) Integrated Knowledge, Eng. & Sustainable Communities at the University of Calgary.
- Kerry Black is an Assistant Professor and Schulich Research Chair (Integrated Knowledge, Engineering & Sustainable Communities), in the Center for Environmental Engineering Research and Education (CEERE) and the Department of Civil Engineering, at the University of Calgary. She received her PhD from the University of Guelph with research focused on sustainable water and wastewater management in Indigenous communities. Her focus is to engage in a cross-disciplinary research platform, incorporating technical civil and environmental engineering principles and research, with policy and socio-economic components, focusing on sustainable infrastructure for healthy and resilient communities.
- Over the past 12 years, she worked extensively in the academic, public, private and non-profit sectors, employed in technical, scientific, policy, and management roles. The majority of my experience has included working with and for Indigenous communities on urgent and pressing infrastructure issues across Canada. Her cross-disciplinary research has been featured in both engineering and social science journals. Dr. Black is a strong advocate for increasing diversity in science and engineering, sustainability initiatives and programs, and community development, including her work with Indigenous communities, including most recently with the Assembly of First Nations and the British Columbia First Nations Housing & Infrastructure Council.
- Energy for the environment
- Sustainable and resilient infrastructure
- Environmental infrastructure (water and wastewater)
- Environment and climate change
- Climate change adaptation
- Sustainable water management
- Engineering education
- Sustainable community development
- Indigenous community-based research
- Sustainable infrastructure